Curator Approval Queue
Updated 03-27-2015
Find A Grave Toolbox
Recently Shared Photos
Fresh Maple Syrup
First Turkey
Dad kicked the bucket today
Who's Online
22 registered (Diana D., ChrisMs, Grannydj32, 11 invisible), 31 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#2808369 - 02/13/15 10:10 AM Please Help a Newbie
bryan.charlie@gm Offline

Greetings: Please forgive any mistakes - I am newly registered, and unfamiliar with this Forum site... but am looking for some help on Find-A-Grave.
I live in the U.S. and am looking for someone in the London area who frequents Golder Green Crematorium. I am looking for a relative that, according to old family records, was cremated at GGC in 1937. There is no post on Find-A-Grave. I am trying to find out if his remains were interred at GGC, or perhaps returned to family.
If there is someone who visits GGC frequently, I would like to ask if there is a possibility that they might check the registry for me. I would be grateful for any forthcoming answer, and if interred there, a photo of any marker would be most appreciated. If there, I want to get posted. I would be happy if you wish to do it, or with the necessary information from GGC, I will be happy to post.
Please email me direct at bryan.charliegmail.com, or if you prefer, a message at my Contributor Account #47803704 would also be fine. I can give you the specifics for locating my relative.
Thanks for your patience with a newbie, and for any forthcoming response.

#2808438 - 02/13/15 01:24 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: bryan.charlie@gm]
Steven M Offline

Loc: Somewhere in Europe
If you could provide the name of the relative, it might be a good start in finding help. Are you certain that relative isn't listed on Find A Grave already?

While doing a cemetery lookup on the main site, I found a Golders Green Crematorium in the Borough of Barnet, Greater London. Is this the place you are looking for?

Edited by Steven M (02/13/15 01:27 PM)

#2810449 - 02/18/15 12:55 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: Steven M]
Chris Doran Offline

I think you need to contact the Crematorium: http://www.thelondoncremation.co.uk/golders-green-crematorium/contact/ It's a big place and there's little chance of anyone finding a small plaque, even if it exists, by just wandering around. Let us know what they say.

#2826164 - 03/24/15 11:12 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: Steven M]
bryan.charlie@gm Offline

Steven - Thanks for your response. Sorry for delay getting back; Family business took me away from this endeavor for past several weeks.
Yes, I searched Find A Grave using every possible combination of names. I had found Golders Green website, but could not find an email address on the site.
Thanks to Chris' posting, I found it and just sent them an inquiry. And yes, the one you cited is the only one I found.
I'll post results of my inquiry when (if) I get one.

#2826167 - 03/24/15 11:22 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: Chris Doran]
bryan.charlie@gm Offline

Chris - Thanks for your help. Since I was unable to find an email address for Golders Green, I posted here in hopes that someone who visits GG frequently might know if they had a registry that was available for research. (Some of the cemeteries here in the U.S. will not allow Find A Grave volunteers on the property without written permission from the family under inquiry. Some small towns actually have no record of interments, other than viewing the stones!)
Anyway, thanks to your link, I found GG's email, have written them, and will post any results.

#2826251 - 03/25/15 09:06 AM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: bryan.charlie@gm]
bryan.charlie@gm Offline

My inquiry was sent to GG about 4 a.m. London time...
Response received before noon London time.
Now, that's fast service!
(Of course, their business is pretty much dead.)
They charge L10 to research their archives, which they say are "off site". Pretty reasonable. Beats the price of air travel from U.S.!
I'm looking for a husband and wife. I have exact DOD for him, but NO IDEA when she died.
At his DOD, they were living at 56 Wynnstay Gardens, Kensington.

He: Thomas Littlejohn Feild - DOD 4/5/1937.
She: Meeta Armistead (Capehart) Feild - still living in 1937 at age 75. But she dropped off the family radar.

I suggested a 25 yr span on her, and GG said they require a more narrow window.
So - a little more research on her, and there may be hope.
Thanks so much to you both for your help!

#2826325 - 03/25/15 12:28 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: bryan.charlie@gm]
Kimmer Offline

Loc: Arizona...It's a Dry Heat
Ancestry UK lists Meeta A Feild as dying in 1944 in London. I don't have a membership anymore but the Index of Wills and Administrations lists her a Meeta Armistead Feild and the year is also 1944.

#2826353 - 03/25/15 01:40 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: bryan.charlie@gm]
ScottD Offline

Loc: Spokane
Familysearch.org is your friend for European records:

The following narrows her death down to 3 months in 1944 at Kensington.

Name: Meeta A Feild
Event Type: Death
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year: 1944
Registration District: Kensington
County: London
Event Place: Kensington, London, England
Age (available after 1866): 82
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969):
Birth Year (Estimated): 1862
Volume: 1A
Page: 237
Line Number: 99

And Thomas:

Name: Thomas L Feild
Event Type: Death
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year: 1937
Registration District: Hammersmith
County: London
Event Place: Hammersmith, London, England
Age (available after 1866): 84
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969):
Birth Year (Estimated): 1853
Volume: 1A
Page: 259
Line Number: 128

Citing this Record:
"England and Wales, Death Registration Index 1837-2007," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QVHG-7LGK : accessed 25 March 2015), Thomas L Feild, 1937; from "England & Wales Deaths, 1837-2006," index, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : 2012); citing Death, Hammersmith, London, England, General Register Office, Southport, England.

Citing this Record:
"England and Wales, Death Registration Index 1837-2007," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QVCC-3PGY : accessed 25 March 2015), Meeta A Feild, 1944; from "England & Wales Deaths, 1837-2006," index, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : 2012); citing Death, Kensington, London, England, General Register Office, Southport, England.

#2826973 - 03/26/15 03:27 PM Re: Please Help a Newbie [Re: ScottD]
bryan.charlie@gm Offline

Great contributions, everybody! Anything you run across will be appreciated greatly!
I'll see what I can get from GG, and have a few more leads.
THANKS TO ALL!!!

Moderator:  AJ, Jim, Mark, Russ