Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 07-07-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 07-23-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
22 registered (eesmith60, deniseA, BrianSnat, ellen, ASSASSINBUG, BeardedWierdo, 9 invisible), 44 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Cousin's Day
Summer morning
Memorial Stone
Surname?
Not turkeys!
Topic Options
#2438586 - 05/25/13 05:39 PM Cedar Grove Cemetery in Trinity Co., Texas
Nancy_Adams Offline

Loc: Winnsboro, Wood Co. Texas
mad

TRINITY COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - The Trinity County Sheriff's Office is currently investigating vandalism's at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Trinity.

Sheriff Woody Wallace says the damage happened Friday night after 6pm and continued until earlier Saturday morning.

Wallace says at least 100 headstones were destroyed and authorities are still assessing the damage. Officials say some of the headstones over 100 years old.

No arrests have been made at this time and Wallace is urging any eye witnesses or anyone with information to call the Trinity Police Department at 936-594-2505

By Francesca Washington

#2439784 - 05/27/13 11:11 AM Re: Cedar Grove Cemetery in Trinity Co., Texas [Re: Nancy_Adams]
BeNotForgot Offline

Loc: Texas
mad I have kinfolk buried there mad

#2441136 - 05/29/13 12:44 PM Re: Cedar Grove Cemetery in Trinity Co., Texas [Re: BeNotForgot]
jpo_tx113 Offline

Here's another article. If the Chief's name sounds familiar you might have watched his reality show on CMT.

I have a good friend that's a Trinity Co. juvenile probation officer. I'll have to get her to keep me updated on this. I myself supervised a couple juveniles many years ago that did the same thing. They paid restitution plus performed community service at the cemetery they vandalized. Let's hope this happens in this case, too.

TRINITY, TX (KTRE) -

Trinity County authorities believe three 13-year-old boys are responsible for the Memorial Day weekend vandalism spree that left 135 head stones damaged.

Trinity Police Chief Steve Jones said his officers were able to lift good fingerprints from some of the damaged headstones. He said his officers are working with the Lufkin Police Department's crime lab to identify the juvenile suspects.

If the juvenile suspects are identified, they could face felony grave desecration and criminal mischief charges for the mayhem in Trinity's Cedar Grove Cemetery that left many families wondering why someone would do such a thing.

In all, 135 headstones were damaged, and 12 of those were broken. Jones said some of the broken grave stones were made of white marble, which is irreplaceable.

A work crew of Trinity County Jail inmates has been working to clean up the damage since Tuesday. Jones said they've been righting the headstones and added that the cemetery is more than half way back to its original state.

After word of the vandalism got out, families dropped by Cedar Grove Cemetery to check on their loved ones' grave sites.

Fred Skains, a member of the Cedar Grove Cemetery Board of Directors, and said it's heartbreaking to look at.

"When I saw it yesterday I just had to cry," Skains said. "It was just too much. It just breaks your heart to see someone or some people do this sort of thing, especially on a weekend like this, Memorial Day."

There is no section of the cemetery that escaped unscathed, and authorities said some of the headstones vandalized were more than 100 years old.

The investigation is on-going and authorities are urging anyone with information about the vandalism to call the Trinity Police Department at (936) 594-2505 or the Sheriff's Office at (936) 642-1424.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.

#2441157 - 05/29/13 01:30 PM Re: Cedar Grove Cemetery in Trinity Co., Texas [Re: jpo_tx113]
JayGeeVanAre Offline

Loc: Over the grass in Michigan
Article link from KTRE-9
Vandalism

"Omnibus Effulgior"

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ