Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 07-07-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 07-25-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
18 registered (Bette Day, Charen3, booklover, BeardedWierdo, ellen, 6 invisible), 39 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Cousin's Day
Summer morning
Memorial Stone
Surname?
Not turkeys!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2324542 - 11/30/12 04:49 PM Looking for NY area obituary
Jean-Loup Offline

Loc: France
Does anybody have any information on a person named Elizabeth Clarke, née Sweetitz, who lived at 111 East 26th St, NY, in the late 1940's?
As usual, my goal is to try to contact living children or relatives, so an obituary would be ideal.
Considering her expremely unusual birth name, I should think it would be to hard to find a trace of her if one exists.

Thank you for any help.

Jean-Loup

#2324587 - 11/30/12 05:27 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: Jean-Loup]
RJensen Offline

Loc: NC
What was her husband's name?

#2324617 - 11/30/12 06:01 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: RJensen]
Jean-Loup Offline

Loc: France
Sorry, I have no information on the husband's name, but I did recheck my paperwork, and see that she signed her name Elisabeth Lundberg on a document post dating the one she signed as Elizabeth Clake.
So she must have gotten divorced, and her long term name would therefore have been Elizabeth Lundberg, not Clarke. Sorry about that.
Another strange detail, her parents family name was Dragoset, so perhaps she was adopted or her mother also remaried atsome point??

Edited by Jean-Loup (11/30/12 06:03 PM)

#2324632 - 11/30/12 06:34 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: Jean-Loup]
LindyB Offline

Loc: PNW
JL, is this a sister to one of the soldiers you are researching or a parent? Trying to get a rough idea on her age. What is the name of the soldier?

#2324642 - 11/30/12 06:58 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: LindyB]
LindyB Offline

Okay, found an online tree with them so I have the dates now. Will try and see what I can find and maybe contact the tree owner although it looks like he's distantly related.

For anyone else who'd like to search Elizabeth was born 1891 and married a few times. She is the mother of Frank J. Sweetitz who is the solider that was killed. Looks like her second husband was Andrew Dragosit. Here they all are in Woodbridge NJ on the 1930 census. Will look for more in a minute.

1930 United States Federal Census
about Elizabeth Dragosit
Name: Elizabeth Dragosit
Birth Year: abt 1891
Birthplace: Austria
Race: White
Home in 1930: Woodbridge, Middlesex, New Jersey
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1921
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Andrew Dragosit
Father's Birthplace: Austria
Mother's Birthplace: Austria

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Andrew Dragosit 45
Elizabeth Dragosit 39
Andrew F Dragosit 20
Anna Dragosit 18
Frank J Swetits 17
Elizabeth A Swetits 16
Elsie Dragosit 14
Helen Dragosit 7
William Dragosit 5

EDIT: I just realized both his mother and sister are named Elizabeth. Was Elizabeth Clarke Lundberg the sister.

Edited by LindyB (11/30/12 07:00 PM)

#2324646 - 11/30/12 07:02 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: LindyB]
LindyB Offline

This would be a step brother:

Star-Ledger, The (Newark, NJ) - Tuesday, June 20, 2000
Deceased Name: Andrew Dragoset, owned realty firm
OBITUARY

A memorial service for Andrew F. Dragoset, 91, of West Caldwell and Delray Beach, Fla., will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow in the Quinn-Hopping Funeral Home of Livingston, 145 E. Mount Pleasant Ave., Livingston.

Mr. Dragoset, who died Saturday in the St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, owned Stern and Dragoset Realty, Woodbridge, for 45 years before retiring in 1974. He also was the assistant treasurer for financial services at Merck & Co. Pharmaceuticals, Rahway, for 38 years.

Mr. Dragoset was a 1929 graduate of the Pace Institute, New York City, with a certificate degree in accounting.

He was a life member of the Elks Lodge in Middletown.

Born in New York City, Mr. Dragoset lived in Monroe Township and Middletown before moving to West Caldwell two years ago. He also maintained a residence in Delray Beach.

Surviving are his wife, Elizabeth; a daughter, Mrs. Janice Zennario; stepson, Edward Jansen; two sisters, Mrs. Anne Frey and Mrs. Helen Cole; a brother, William; 10 grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren and a great-great-grandchild.

#2324656 - 11/30/12 07:13 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: Jean-Loup]
RJensen Offline

Originally Posted By: Jean-Loup
Sorry, I have no information on the husband's name, but I did recheck my paperwork, and see that she signed her name Elisabeth Lundberg on a document post dating the one she signed as Elizabeth Clake.
So she must have gotten divorced, and her long term name would therefore have been Elizabeth Lundberg, not Clarke. Sorry about that.
Another strange detail, her parents family name was Dragoset, so perhaps she was adopted or her mother also remaried atsome point??

OK...This make more sense from what I've found. As you said "Sweetitz" is an unusual name. This is the only hit I got on "Sweetitz"

Found this article in the New York Sun dated Nov. 10, 1944, with causalities for New York & New Jersey. This was under New Jersey causalities.

#2324659 - 11/30/12 07:16 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: LindyB]
LindyB Offline

Another Step Brother who died just this past May:

William H. Dragoset Sr.: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice
Decatur Daily, The (AL) - Sunday, May 6, 2012
Deceased Name: William H. Dragoset Sr.
William Henry

Dragoset Sr.

Houston, Texas

William H. Dragoset Sr. passed away March 21, 2012, in Houston, Texas. He was born August 3, 1924, in Avenel, N.J. to Andrew and Elizabeth Dragoset. He graduated from Missouri School of Mines with B.S. degrees in chemical engineering (1944) and metallurgical engineering (1947). He served in the Pacific as an ensign in the U.S. Navy from 1944 until 1946. He was employed for six years by Merck & Co. in Rahway, N.J. (1947-1953) and 30 years by Chemstrand/Monsanto in Pensacola, Fla., and Decatur (1953-1982).

He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Lois; four children, Bill Jr. and wife, Mary, Jim and wife, Donna, Bob, and Jeannie Wozniak and husband, Brian; 12 grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

At his request, there was no memorial service. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the VFW or your local SPCA.

#2324674 - 11/30/12 07:25 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: LindyB]
RJensen Offline

From the census records it appears both Elizabeth & her brother Frank J. Sweetitz, were born in Austria.

#2324698 - 11/30/12 07:42 PM Re: Looking for NY area obituary [Re: RJensen]
RJensen Offline

Originally Posted By: RJensen
Originally Posted By: Jean-Loup

OK...This make more sense from what I've found. As you said "Sweetitz" is an unusual name. This is the only hit I got on "Sweetitz"

Found this article in the New York Sun dated Nov. 10, 1944, with causalities for New York & New Jersey. This was under New Jersey causalities.

I assume this is who you are researching.

Frank J. Sweetitz

The home address matches what is listed in the newspaper clip.

Special Forces Roll of Honour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ