Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-23-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
24 registered (bolero4me, 2butterflies, Diane L., duke220, Beverly Walls, Brock, 9 invisible), 34 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Easter Orbs
Curious sign
Interesting / unusual monument
Topic Options
#2202365 - 06/11/12 08:59 AM Graves- Gill family from Ireland to IbervilleLa
lmeranta Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I would appreciate any help finding my Gill family graves or any other info. Michael Gill b: abt 1827 Londonerry, Ireland. d: Nov 13, 1855 of Yellow Fever in the New Orleans, LA area. I cannot find where Michael was buried. Michael was a land surveyor and map maker. He died while surveying, per family stories, he was surveying in the N.O. area at the time. He lived in the Plaquemine, LA area with his wife, Jane (Phillips also from Londonderry), and 4 children, John, William B, Alexander, and Mary Ann. I have copies of 2 obits from the Plaquemine area but neither indicate where he was when he died, only that he was away. Michael's son John, died in 1883. I have a picture of the headstone for John. He was buried with his wife, Nancy Matilda (Marionneaux) Gill, and John Rhodes, John's wife, Mary (Ratcliff) Rhodes, and Laura Ann Ganaway. I believe this gravestone is in the Plaquemine area, but was unable to locate it on a recent trip there. Any information or help with my ancestor would be appreciated.
thanks

#2202626 - 06/11/12 02:40 PM Re: Graves- Gill family from Ireland to IbervilleLa [Re: lmeranta]
Christina11 Offline

Loc: ation
Any idea when the rest of the family died? It can be hard to know if we have the right person without dates. For example, there is an obit for an Alex Gill who died in 1937 but I have no way of knowing if this could be him.

So far, the only Alex I have found that even fits is one born in 1845, listed in the 1870 census.

smile

- Ellen Swallow Richards

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ