Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-23-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
25 registered (eesmith60, Brock, Brian55, greyfox, chip5610, BeardedWierdo, colbaltracer, duke220, 12 invisible), 38 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Easter Orbs
Curious sign
Interesting / unusual monument
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2106346 - 02/12/12 05:47 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Georgia Lass]
Christina11 Offline

Loc: ation
Originally Posted By: Georgia Lass
Thank you. We have his full Obit, we are trying to find some of his Military Records to fill in this part of his life for my Husband and my Stepson. Seems that we can't even find a WWII Draft card, which seems very odd to me!!!

Not odd at all, the only WWII Draft cards available to the public are the 'Old Man Draft Cards'. The rest of the draft cards are withheld due to privacy laws.

The Army does have it WWII enlistment records public. The Navy does not.

Casualty records are available for all branches.

Unfortunately, you are looking for something you are not going to find. The only way to get his military info is to request his service records.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106351 - 02/12/12 05:54 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Christina11]
Christina11 Offline

Do you have any idea why he doesn't have a military stone? If he did, the funeral home and/or cemetery would have a small amount of his military info.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106353 - 02/12/12 05:57 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Christina11]
Georgia Lass Offline

Loc: South Jersey
No clue...I am actually surprised that one was not ordered for him. My husband doesn't know why one wasn't ordered either...since he was given a Military Funeral, I would have thought they would have also filled out the forms for the footstone. Only thing I can think of is that they didn't know where to order it from. I know I just had to get all for forms together to order my Grandfather's Military Footstone.

#2106354 - 02/12/12 06:00 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Georgia Lass]
BarbaraLL Offline

Loc: New York
Due to privacy laws, only the Fourth Registration, or "old man's registration," of the WWII draft registration cards is available. This registration includes men in 1942, who were between the ages of 45 and 64, and not currently in the military. At some point in the future, the other WWII draft registration cards will become available. In addition, the records of some states' WWII draft registrations were incomplete, and the original draft cards for 8 other states were destroyed before they were microfilmed, so these will never be available.

#2106374 - 02/12/12 06:38 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: BarbaraLL]
BarbaraLL Offline

Loc: New York
The funeral parlor arranged for my dad's military stone. Maybe you could check with them?

#2106385 - 02/12/12 06:43 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Georgia Lass]
Christina11 Offline

Originally Posted By: Georgia Lass
No clue...I am actually surprised that one was not ordered for him. My husband doesn't know why one wasn't ordered either...since he was given a Military Funeral, I would have thought they would have also filled out the forms for the footstone. Only thing I can think of is that they didn't know where to order it from. I know I just had to get all for forms together to order my Grandfather's Military Footstone.

Every funeral home knows the procedure for military funerals and burials. I would contact them and find out if there is a reason why one was not ordered. Maybe he did not want one, who knows? Or, maybe it is related to the cemetery. If nothing else, you could initiate the process if it was overlooked.

Or, maybe you will find out he does have one and he just isn't listed in the VA records.

Then I would submit a request to the archives for his service records.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2117539 - 02/25/12 05:40 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Georgia Lass]
Reb Bledsoe Offline

Loc: Missouri
Georgia

Try the courthouse where he lived when he got out of the service. They will have his Discharge Papers.

#2117931 - 02/26/12 06:33 AM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Reb Bledsoe]
Ernest Rucker Offline

Loc: MS
For service records, I suggest the following link:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

For information and forms to order military marker, I suggest the following link (additionally, you local county VA representative can prepare and coordinate such an order for you):

http://www.cem.va.gov/hm_hm.asp

This shold help you in your quest.

Ernest Rucker, USN, Retired

#2117933 - 02/26/12 06:35 AM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Ernest Rucker]
Ernest Rucker Offline

Loc: MS
P.S. DD-214 (discharge papers) will only be at a couthouse IF the service member themself placed the papers there. It is not a thing that happens automatically.

Ernest

#2117938 - 02/26/12 06:53 AM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Ernest Rucker]
Subic Offline

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Ernest Rucker
P.S. DD-214 (discharge papers) will only be at a couthouse IF the service member themself placed the papers there. It is not a thing that happens automatically.

Ernest

Agreed. In the late 1970's, I don't know how long before that, most military members being discharged were advised NOT to file their DD-214 at their home courthouse. Once filed at a courthouse it becomes public record, meaning anyone who asks to see it may. I think it came about when the military started using SSN's as service numbers. Service numbers (SSN) is on the DD-214 and any DD-215.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ