Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-23-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
24 registered (BeardedWierdo, bethhoo, Bernadette, eesmith60, dfilpus, 10 invisible), 40 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Easter Orbs
Curious sign
Interesting / unusual monument
Topic Options
#2113898 - 02/21/12 08:21 AM Cranston, RI -- anyone familiar with researching?
peachiekeen444 Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Greetings. I am trying to find info about family who ended up in Cranston. I am interested in finding obituaries, newspaper aticles and records. Could anyone advise what newspapers probably carried obits for Cranston and where I might be able to access that newspaper? More generally, what's the best way to obtain death info for RI? Thanks!

#2114427 - 02/21/12 06:30 PM Re: Cranston, RI -- anyone familiar with researching? [Re: peachiekeen444]
beardedmustafa Offline

Loc: Back there
What time frame are we talking about?

If they were buried in RI, the RI Historical Cemetery Commission has an online data base but stops around early 1990's. A statewide transcription project was done in the early 1990's and with the exception of a few cemeteries, burials are listed.

http://www.rihc.info/

The Providence Journal would probably have carried the obits as Cranston is nearby.

#2114637 - 02/21/12 11:34 PM Re: Cranston, RI -- anyone familiar with researching? [Re: beardedmustafa]
peachiekeen444 Offline

I am looking for info mostly from the 1960's and 1970's. One family I am researching was buried in Massachusetts as the husband/father died prior to the remaining family moving to Cranston in the 1940's or so.

What's the best way to access old obits in the Providence Journal?

More generally, what is covered generally by the RI Hist. Cem. Comm.? I did a quick look and got the impression it may not cover much in the way of newer burials, but that was just a quick first impression.

#2114903 - 02/22/12 11:44 AM Re: Cranston, RI -- anyone familiar with researching? [Re: peachiekeen444]
beardedmustafa Offline

Loc: Back there
Originally Posted By: peachiekeen444
I am looking for info mostly from the 1960's and 1970's. One family I am researching was buried in Massachusetts as the husband/father died prior to the remaining family moving to Cranston in the 1940's or so.

What's the best way to access old obits in the Providence Journal?

More generally, what is covered generally by the RI Hist. Cem. Comm.? I did a quick look and got the impression it may not cover much in the way of newer burials, but that was just a quick first impression.

I don't know of anyway to access old obits online from the Providence Journal. Main public library has on microfil.

As to state data base - Contains most of the burials in RI up to the 1992-95 period with a few excetions. St. Anns is a large cemetery in Cranston and very little transcription done in it. On the others, tombstones, church records and some city records checked so pretty well complete.

What name are you looking at?

#2114978 - 02/22/12 01:42 PM Re: Cranston, RI -- anyone familiar with researching? [Re: beardedmustafa]
peachiekeen444 Offline

I am on the hunt for an obit and/or death record for:

Jozefa "Josephine" Bogdanski Smegiel
Birth 14 May 1893 in Poland
Death Oct 1973 in Cranston, Providence, Rhode Island

This is a link to her memorial: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi...amp;df=all&

Her children also died in RI. Here is her family info if that is helpful in some way:

Jozef "Joseph" W. Smegiel
1884 – 1931 (died in MA)

Antonia Smegiel
1912 – 2 Nov 2001 in Cranston
Edward Smegiel
1914 – Jun 1981 in Cranston
Henry Smegiel
1923 – 17 Sep 2006 in East Greenwich, Kent, Rhode Island

I am really trying to find a place of birth and her parents' names, which may be Wyktor and Maryanna.

#2147697 - 04/04/12 11:25 AM Re: Cranston, RI -- anyone familiar with researching? [Re: peachiekeen444]
CathyS1955 Offline

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Are you still looking for an obituary or death notice? I have both, retrieved from microfilm at the library. There isn't much new information (other than what you already know), but her date of death was 23 October 1973. She actually had four children listed in the obituary, plus two grandchildren. Let me know if you want to see these newspaper clippings, and the best way to send them to you.

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ