Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
7 registered (Suz47, TAC 1567, jrsents, 4 invisible), 30 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Interesting / unusual monument
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2106124 - 02/12/12 12:00 PM Need Help finding Military Records
Georgia Lass Offline

Loc: South Jersey
I was wondering if anyone can help me find Military Records on my Husband's Grandfather? His name was Lester N. Alleruzzo. He was born 12 Apr 1922 in Massachusetts and he passed away 19 Oct 2004 in East Brunswick, NJ. My Husband said he was a Pilot in WWII with the Navy and he was an Officer when he left the Military. I have not been able to find a single Military Record on him. I do have one photo of him in his Military Uniform, but you can only see a bar on each of his collars. If anyone can help me find some records, if would be greatly appreciated since the only information we have about his Military Career is what I listed above.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this mystery!!!

#2106129 - 02/12/12 12:08 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Georgia Lass]
Christina11 Offline

Loc: ation
The fact that he was in the Navy makes this tough as their records are not very accessible, not like Army records.

My dad was in the Navy and I had to pull his records from the Saint Louis Archives to find out about his service. In 25 years I have found one record online, just recently, and that was a ship manifest on which he was listed. His brother, on the other hand, was in the Army and there are a lot more records available.

Sometimes you learn more thru newspaper articles.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106142 - 02/12/12 12:20 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Christina11]
Christina11 Offline

His father, Salvatore, has draft registrations on file for both wars, but nothing on Lester.

I don't see him listed as having a military stone - those also provide a clue as to his service.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106148 - 02/12/12 12:26 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Christina11]
Christina11 Offline

This doesn't help much, just mimics what you have already said. Personally, I would have your husband submit a request for his records.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106163 - 02/12/12 12:53 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Christina11]
Georgia Lass Offline

Thank you Christina!! I will have to try to see if I can find any Newspaper articles on him. I don't have any subscriptions to the newspaper archives, but maybe I can find something through some of the genealogy sites I have saved. Boy, this is amazing that it is so hard to find information on him when it deals with WWII.

#2106175 - 02/12/12 01:18 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Georgia Lass]
Christina11 Offline

I have done some preliminary searching on what I can as far as newspapers, but I will continue to look. If you're lucky, there may be mention of his leave or it might also be mentioned in an obit for someone in the family.

I know that in an article about my uncle's death, it mentioned my dad (along with his rank) being on furlough from the Pacific, obviously to attend his brother's funeral. I already knew everything mentioned, but had I not, this little bit of info would have been helpful.

The Navy is not very forthcoming with military records. However, the copies you receive from St. Louis will tell you just about anything you want to know. Coincidentally, I was just reading my dad's records again - I've had them for over 20 years - and had forgotten about some of the info included within them.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106326 - 02/12/12 04:54 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: Christina11]
BarbaraLL Offline

Loc: New York
only thing I found is census data:

First Name: Lester Middle Name: N Last Name: Alleruzzo Name Suffix: Birth Date: 12 April 1922 Social Security Number: 700-18-9039 Place of Issuance: Railroad Board Last Residence: Middlesex, New Jersey Zip Code of Last Residence: 08816 Death Date: 19 October 2004 Estimated Age at Death: 82

#2106339 - 02/12/12 05:32 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: BarbaraLL]
BarbaraLL Offline

Don't know if you added him here but just thought I would post it::

http://www.faqs.org/people-search/alleruzzo/

#2106340 - 02/12/12 05:35 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: BarbaraLL]
BarbaraLL Offline

Lester N. Alleruzzo

Mr. Alleruzzo, 82, of East Brunswick, died Oct. 19 at home. Surviving are his wife, Margaret; two sons, Paul of Mason, Ohio, and Robert of Howell; three daughters, Margaret Bartel of Spotswood, Mary Nelson of East Brunswick and Marilyn Korba of Freehold Township; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. Services were held at Freeman Manalapan-Marlboro Funeral Home, Manalapan. Memorial contributions may be made to the Visiting Nurse Association, 141 Bodman Place, Red Bank, NJ 07701-9978.

#2106341 - 02/12/12 05:37 PM Re: Need Help finding Military Records [Re: BarbaraLL]
Georgia Lass Offline

Thank you. We have his full Obit, we are trying to find some of his Military Records to fill in this part of his life for my Husband and my Stepson. Seems that we can't even find a WWII Draft card, which seems very odd to me!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ