Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 07-07-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 07-25-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
30 registered (bcfrench, eesmith60, debbiej, Frankz, Bill Pfrengle, 14 invisible), 100 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Some  of my cousins
Cousin's Day
Summer morning
Memorial Stone
Surname?
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2065206 - 12/26/11 09:12 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: rottenralf
I just did share my expertise and qualifications.
No you said you were an expert and put a period after it. The other two posters who post on this forum have been very clear about their fields of expertise and qualifications. I'm not an expert which is why I defer to those that are and have backed it up with impressive qualifications.

You said you are an expert. What are you an expert in and what are your qualifications?

#2065210 - 12/26/11 09:16 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: AJ]
rottenralf Offline

Loc: In the principal's office
Originally Posted By: AJ
Decades of design of cutting tools and cutting cooling systems. As with any detergent and degreaser, the object is to encapsulate particles and oils so they can be taken away but the water. Same principle applies whether you are washing clothes, washing dishes, taking dust away from cuttting equipment, or mopping a floor.
Let's take this down to a home level...you are claiming using a solution of Dawn dish washing liquid and water will permanantly harm your marble cutting board? (No, cutting boards are not sealed, the first cut would render that usless so don't even try that).

Oh, and any other reader of this thread, do not try this at your local cemetery unless you happen to have your own personal marble cutting board stored there. AJ's rules.

"AJ's rules"?

Care to explain that, daddio? If you can show exactly where and when I stated those precise "rules" you speak of, we *might* let you keep your account(s).

AJ, your yearly message, as you called it, "If it's not yours don't touch it." You want the actual linkage? I can get it. No disrepect intended, Jim's site, your his admin, you stated that rule, that's what I live by here.

#2065211 - 12/26/11 09:19 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
rottenralf Offline

Loc: In the principal's office
My annual declaration (that everyone hates):

It's not your job to clean or restore gravestones. In fact, never touch them. Just photograph them. That's how you preserve them. Everything ages and deteriorates. It's the natural way of things. Leave it alone.

-AJ

linkage: http://www.findagraveforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2023550#Post2023550

5th message down.

#2065274 - 12/26/11 11:36 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
AJ Offline
Oh, the minutia

Loc: The End of Forever
My annual declaration (that everyone hates):

It's not your job to clean or restore gravestones. In fact, never touch them. Just photograph them. That's how you preserve them. Everything ages and deteriorates. It's the natural way of things. Leave it alone.

-AJ

linkage: http://www.findagraveforums.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2023550#Post2023550

5th message down.

Well sure, most are familiar with that one. Not even close to what you attributed to me by inference, though.

#2065319 - 12/27/11 01:39 AM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: RosalieAnn]
Treblemaker Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: RosalieAnn
I take photos from a book published before 1900. I think that book is out of copyright (has never been reprinted).

IMHO publishing a book to make money is no longer an effective way to do that. Magazines and newspapers are struggling, bookstores are going out of business - the print media is all struggling. Those societies who hope to raise money that way are going to have to find another way to do it.

A little thread drift here: Has the Borders Book Store in anyone else's area gone out of business? Ours was such a big, well stocked, well run store, that I can't believe it shut down. I have migrated over to the Barnes & Noble.

Now, back to the original thread while Treblemaker goes to the corner to crack open a new John Grisham book she got for Christmas/Hanukkah.

#2065958 - 12/27/11 10:34 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: Treblemaker]
bastillebaby Offline

Loc: Semi-Coastal
Borders thread drift, cont’d. - mine closed too. The closest Barnes & Noble is very small, about 1/4 or 1/3 of the old Borders store. We have a great independent bookseller that still thrives.

<---leaves to read a new (to her) Bille Letts novel.

My avatar, Felix Leclerc
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5312241

#2066561 - 12/28/11 07:53 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: bastillebaby]
seekerJay Offline

Loc: Lower Hudson Valley
rottenralf - Why are you fighting so hard to defend using shaving cream on a surface it was never designed for? If you called, say, Gillette, what advice would they give? It's guess, but I strongly suspect they would tell you NOT to use their product that way.

Hey! Are you Dick Eastman? laugh

#2066602 - 12/28/11 08:57 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: seekerJay]
BeardedWierdo Offline

Gliding monkeys!

Loc: Delaware County, PA
Actually, in past threads rottenralf hasn't defended it, just questioned the quality of the science (there really isn't good science on this; no money - no science).

It'd be really nice to see some real science. If I could figure out how to do it, I would, but I'd have to do it on my own nickel, which is pretty worn thin right now.

#2066620 - 12/28/11 09:29 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: BeardedWierdo]
KN16 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Science is not needed to know it's bad, which is not a rare occurrence. We have a stone mason and a professional preservationist who hang out here and both have had to deal with damage caused by shaving cream. We've seen photos of monuments stained or with odd vegetation growth due to the use of shaving cream. Why? It doesn't matter. What ingredient? It doesn't matter. Any specific stone type? It doesn't matter. Any specific brand? It doesn't matter.

For many thousands of years no one understood why the sun appeared in the sky, but it still showed up every morning. You couldn't say, well the science isn't known so it's going to be dark tomorrow.

If someone wants to do a scientific study God bless 'em. Until that point it is still known that shaving cream can be harmful to these one of a kind monuments, therefor common sense should say do what is best for the monument.

If you want to take the opposite view and say it hasn't been proven shaving cream causes damage, do you want to take the chance and does anyone here have the right to experiment on something which is essentially irreplaceable? Unless of course they can claim ownership of said irreplaceable object.

Not to mention that if someone wants to label themselves an expert here they should be willing to share with us why they are an expert.

#2066629 - 12/28/11 09:43 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]
BeardedWierdo Offline

Gliding monkeys!

Loc: Delaware County, PA
Oh, I agree... it's not good to use. But some need proof.

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, RDigati, Russ