Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 07-07-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 07-30-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
30 registered (alan.fisher, couchpotato, cheekybones, Bill Gransee, eesmith60, David G., ewd76, 13 invisible), 38 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Monograms
For Kimmer
Some  of my cousins
Cousin's Day
Summer morning
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2065123 - 12/26/11 07:37 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]
rottenralf Online   happy

Loc: In the principal's office
Originally Posted By: KN16
Both forum users who have extensive proffesional experience with monument care and cleaning have stated that amatuers can easily damage a stone with degreasers.

Oh stop it!! You're just embarrassing yourself.

I'm going to have to put a page up on my cemetery site this weekend about different methods to read and preserve stones. I hope you don't mind if I quote you on it[to tell the truth, I don't care if you mind or not, this is too good to pass up].

#2065145 - 12/26/11 07:58 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: rottenralf
Originally Posted By: KN16
Both forum users who have extensive proffesional experience with monument care and cleaning have stated that amatuers can easily damage a stone with degreasers.

Oh stop it!! You're just embarrassing yourself.

I'm going to have to put a page up on my cemetery site this weekend about different methods to read and preserve stones. I hope you don't mind if I quote you on it[to tell the truth, I don't care if you mind or not, this is too good to pass up].
I'm in no way embarrassed. The posters who post to this forum who are experts and who have said degreaser can be harmful to a stone monument have clearly documented their expertise. Since you disagree with them what exactly are your qualifications?

#2065150 - 12/26/11 08:04 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]

With cutting fluids? I'm an expert.

#2065157 - 12/26/11 08:12 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

With cutting fluids? I'm an expert.
As I said the others posting to this forum who claim expertise have shared with us their qualifications, which are indeed impressive. Can you share with us what you are an expert in and what qualifications you have?

BTW there's a big difference between the use of cutting fluids on a new monument and amateur use of degreasers as a cleaning fluid on monuments that are decades or in some cases centuries old.

#2065169 - 12/26/11 08:28 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]

Decades of design of cutting tools and cutting cooling systems. As with any detergent and degreaser, the object is to encapsulate particles and oils so they can be taken away but the water. Same principle applies whether you are washing clothes, washing dishes, taking dust away from cuttting equipment, or mopping a floor.
Let's take this down to a home level...you are claiming using a solution of Dawn dish washing liquid and water will permanantly harm your marble cutting board? (No, cutting boards are not sealed, the first cut would render that usless so don't even try that).

Oh, and any other reader of this thread, do not try this at your local cemetery unless you happen to have your own personal marble cutting board stored there. AJ's rules.

#2065182 - 12/26/11 08:41 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

Let's take this down to a home level...you are claiming using a solution of Dawn dish washing liquid and water will permanantly harm your marble cutting board? (No, cutting boards are not sealed, the first cut would render that usless so don't even try that).
When the cutting board wears you throw it in the garbage and buy a new one. Hard to compare that to a one of a kind monument expected to last centuries.

You have declared yourself to be an expert would you please share with us your field of expertise and qualifications?

#2065196 - 12/26/11 09:01 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]
BeardedWierdo Offline

Gliding monkeys!

Loc: Delaware County, PA
Typical shaving cream recipe:

77% water

8% Stearic acid, a saturated fatty acid that occurs in many animal, vegetable fats and oils, most commonly taken from palm oil or coconut oil.

6% Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monostearate, an emulsifier (to mix immiscible or unblendable substances)

5% lanolin, a wax extracted from sheep’s wool, acts as a lubricant and emulsifier holding water to your skin.

3% Triethanalamine (TEA), surfactant or wetting agent lowering the surface tension of a liquid, one part of its molecule will be attracted to water while the other will be attracted to oils and grease. It is also used to balance the pH.

2% Glycerine, a moisturizer, lubricator and humectant.

-------

So it sticks oils and greases onto things. Yuck.

#2065197 - 12/26/11 09:02 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]

I just did share my expertise and qualifications. What are yours? Fictional writer?

Marble is marble. Are you saying Dawn dishwasing liquid will harm marble? You still haven't provided any links where the experts claim detergents and degreasers harm stone. And since we are talking detergents and degreasers that are specifically used in laundry detergent that also would have to be specific. Sulfuric acid could be used as a degreaser so including that in with your list of degreaser would be misleading. Your turn to ante up and show your stuff.

#2065201 - 12/26/11 09:05 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
AJ Offline
Oh, the minutia

Loc: The End of Forever
Decades of design of cutting tools and cutting cooling systems. As with any detergent and degreaser, the object is to encapsulate particles and oils so they can be taken away but the water. Same principle applies whether you are washing clothes, washing dishes, taking dust away from cuttting equipment, or mopping a floor.

Oh, and any other reader of this thread, do not try this at your local cemetery unless you happen to have your own personal marble cutting board stored there. AJ's rules.

"AJ's rules"?

Care to explain that, daddio? If you can show exactly where and when I stated those precise "rules" you speak of, we *might* let you keep your account(s).

#2065205 - 12/26/11 09:11 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: BeardedWierdo]

Originally Posted By: BeardedWierdo
Typical shaving cream recipe:

77% water

8% Stearic acid, a saturated fatty acid that occurs in many animal, vegetable fats and oils, most commonly taken from palm oil or coconut oil.

6% Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monostearate, an emulsifier (to mix immiscible or unblendable substances)

5% lanolin, a wax extracted from sheep’s wool, acts as a lubricant and emulsifier holding water to your skin.

3% Triethanalamine (TEA), surfactant or wetting agent lowering the surface tension of a liquid, one part of its molecule will be attracted to water while the other will be attracted to oils and grease. It is also used to balance the pH.

2% Glycerine, a moisturizer, lubricator and humectant.

-------

So it sticks oils and greases onto things. Yuck.

BW - Neither Gillette Foamy or Barbasol regular contain lanolin or glycerine, those two alone make up about 50% of shaving cream sales in the US. I wouldn't call your list typical.

Yes, it envelopes oil and grease. All detergents do that, it's how they work. Tide, Dawn, Spic & Spac, Irish Spring, Swifter spray, Pantene shampoo, etc. Most people never think about the mechanics of soaps and detergents, but that is what it is. It envelopes gunk and keeps it suspended in water so it can be rinsed away. That's what happens everytime you wash your floor, do your laundry or take a shower.

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, RDigati, Russ