Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
6 registered (GerbLady, LKat, beardedmustafa, mydarncat, KathyB, erlybyrd99), 25 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Easter Orbs
Curious sign
Interesting / unusual monument
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2063437 - 12/24/11 12:01 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: IMATEXN]
chetsgirl Offline

Loc: Here
Quote:
Reading the posts was making me anxious and I can't just keep taking zanax to be able to read those posts. lol

Oh gees, much better reasons for taking Zanax that reading Find A Grave!! LOL

A few of the posters are very obviously people who passed through here and were just as rude then - which is why they aren't here!!

#2064195 - 12/25/11 12:33 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: chetsgirl]
ASSASSINBUG Offline

Loc: Land of the Misfit Toys
I always liked to read those posts when I am in need of a good laugh.

We get too soon old and too late smart.

Every day is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

#2064251 - 12/25/11 03:00 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: chetsgirl]
BeardedWierdo Offline

Gliding monkeys!

Loc: Delaware County, PA
Originally Posted By: chetsgirl
A few of the posters are very obviously people who passed through here and were just as rude then - which is why they aren't here!!
This got me to thinking about rudeness in general.

Why are rude people rude? Because it works for them (or, as Dr. Feel might say, they get a reward for their behavior).

Do rude people think they are being rude? I doubt it. People seem to have this phenomenal ability to convince themselves that their vile behaviors are above reproach, even when they'd never tolerate these behaviors in others.

#2064510 - 12/26/11 01:03 AM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: RosalieAnn]
seekerJay Offline

Loc: Lower Hudson Valley
Originally Posted By: RosalieAnn
. . .The people over there are recommending rubbing to see what the stone says. Among other things. . .

It's hard to maintain your credibility with people used to taking shortcuts. When people with the influence of Dick Eastman support methods like using shaving cream, they undermine your efforts. While his blog entry is bad enough, if you read his responses to comments farther down, he supports the shaving cream practice even more strongly. Then in the last comment (after finding out about the stance of the National Center for Preservation Technology & Training (NCPTT), he back-peddles. A sad display.
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2005/05/tombstones_and_.html

#2064616 - 12/26/11 08:49 AM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: seekerJay]
rottenralf Offline

Loc: In the principal's office
The problem with the NCPPT article is that most shaving creams don't have emollients, less than 20% of the shaving cream sold in the US have emollients. They do however have 2 or 3 degreasers, the same ingredients used in laundry detergents to remove oils and grease. Only the more expensive shaving creams have emollients. Of course you don't have to take my word for it, you can read the label and google Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Triethanolamine.
If someone has reasons not to like shaving cream use then state facts. When they resort to misrepresentation or outright lies they remove all their credibility.
This sites policy is if it isn't yours don't touch it. That means you can't use shaving cream, chalk, flour or foil on stones. That is all the reason you need (for this site).

#2064982 - 12/26/11 04:46 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Originally Posted By: rottenralf
If someone has reasons not to like shaving cream use then state facts. When they resort to misrepresentation or outright lies they remove all their credibility.

There are two eminently credible experts in the field of cemetery preservation who grace this forum from time to time both have repeatedly told of first hand cases where they have had to deal with damage caused by shaving cream.

Lack of facts is not an issue. People who don't want to accept the facts are the issue.

This sites policy is if it isn't yours don't touch it. That means you can't use shaving cream, chalk, flour or foil on stones. That is all the reason you need (for this site).

This site should not enter into the equation. No monument has ever been harmed in this forum. The problem is people who think they know better and continue to use or advocate the use of techniques which are known to cause harm.

#2064991 - 12/26/11 04:56 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]
rottenralf Offline

Facts are the issue. When you resort to gross misrepresentations or outright lies you loose all credibility. Why are the experts claiming there are emollients in shaving cream when that is rarely the case. You can't argue against this, you just have to read the ingredient labels of the biggest selling brands.
Other scientific studies have concluded different results than the ones you are touting.
If you are going to make up garbage just so you can have some sort of reason to disuade people from using a product, pretty soon they are going to ignore you when there is a real issue. You can only cry Wolf! so many times.
Above all else, everybody deserves the truth.

#2065007 - 12/26/11 05:14 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

Facts are the issue. When you resort to gross misrepresentations or outright lies you loose all credibility. Why are the experts claiming there are emollients in shaving cream when that is rarely the case.

The why is unimportant and should not enter into the equasion any more than "this site". You yourself just said shaving cream often contains degreasers. This would be an even bigger problem than moisturizers.

As I said we have forum members who have had to professionally deal with damage caused by shaving cream. Moisturizers, degeasers, or that refreshing menthol wake-me-up, it doesn't matter. Some or all forms of this product CAN cause significant damage which is more than enough reason to not use or advocate the use of any type of shaving cream.

#2065014 - 12/26/11 05:26 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: KN16]
rottenralf Offline

This site does enter into the equation, since the rules state only one side of the pros and cons are allowed to be discussed. What happens in the real world is totally beyond your and this sites control.

Are degreasers going to be the next lie thought up? Because not one of the experts has ever had an issue with those. Seeing that degreasers are part of the solution used in cooling the blades in the cutting process of stone I am really having a hard time believing you.

Since this discussion is happening on this site, the sites rules are paramount. If it's not yours don't touch it. That's AJ's guiderule. Do not take photos of creamed, chalked, foiled or rubbed stones...another guiderule. Most important, tell the truth. Lies and gross misrepresentations are disrespectful the the users of this forum.

#2065055 - 12/26/11 06:01 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
KN16 Offline

This site does enter into the equation, since the rules state only one side of the pros and cons are allowed to be discussed. What happens in the real world is totally beyond your and this sites control.
Each of us has control over what we do, so it's up to us wether we live the spirit of the rules established to protect the monuments or just give them lip service.

Are degreasers going to be the next lie thought up? Because not one of the experts has ever had an issue with those.
Lie? I don't know if shaving cream has degreasers, I was taking your word for it.

Both forum users who have extensive proffesional experience with monument care and cleaning have stated that amatuers can easily damage a stone with degreasers.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, RDigati, Russ