Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-16-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
6 registered (TAC 1567, Elizabeth Grace, 4 invisible), 39 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Cenotaph
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2045307 - 11/30/11 02:28 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: RosalieAnn]
rottenralf Offline

Loc: In the principal's office
If a book was printed in 1900, it is out of copyright. Whether it was reprinted or not has no bearing.

The internet is driving hundreds of local historical and genealogical societies into insolvency, and a few state ones as well. The sad part is nobody has really come up with any viable solutions to replace to lost income. With the closing of these societies comes the question of where their archives will end up. Maintaining archives is an expense, so often passing them along to another society isn't a workable solution since the other society can't afford the additional expense of maintanence. So what happens to the material and information? Does it end up on ebay, out of public hands? Does it end up in a local members garage or barn until the elements turn into compost?

Some of that may be the only survey conducted on long lost cemeteries.

#2046400 - 12/01/11 09:51 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
RosalieAnn Offline

Loc: St Mary's Co., MD

How about just gifting the stuff to the SLC library? I'm sure they would archive it for you.

I did a compilation of all the information from a book that was published in 1926 without an index. My mother wanted me to sell it. I didn't think anyone would pay for it. I did think briefly of putting it on a CD, but I think that would be beyond me and probably not worth it. So if anyone wants the information, I'll give it to them for free.

#2046422 - 12/01/11 10:17 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: RosalieAnn]
rottenralf Offline

Loc: In the principal's office
Originally Posted By: RosalieAnn

How about just gifting the stuff to the SLC library? I'm sure they would archive it for you.

I did a compilation of all the information from a book that was published in 1926 without an index. My mother wanted me to sell it. I didn't think anyone would pay for it. I did think briefly of putting it on a CD, but I think that would be beyond me and probably not worth it. So if anyone wants the information, I'll give it to them for free.

Me, Me!! Need my email?

#2046701 - 12/02/11 09:09 AM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: rottenralf]
RosalieAnn Offline

What I mean is that if anyone wants to know what the author said about some ancestor, I will find it and tell them what it was. I don't have a cd but I do have a vc called Sketches... If you want to look at that

#2055776 - 12/13/11 11:36 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: RosalieAnn]
IMATEXN Offline

Loc: MS, Warren County
RosalieAnn, I agree. I had to unsubscribe, too. That was just awful. Reading the posts was making me anxious and I can't just keep taking zanax to be able to read those posts. lol

#2061400 - 12/21/11 09:39 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: IMATEXN]
LaurenThomas Offline

Loc: Southern wisconsin
Is the Findagrave Facebook page "official" ??? Like are one of the Administers the creators of that page??? They are using a logo that like very much like FindAGrave's. I would think that if Mark or someone one had created the group on Facebook they would monitor it, at the very less put the rules of FindaGrave up as a disclaimer.

#2061767 - 12/22/11 12:23 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: LaurenThomas]
RosalieAnn Offline

I think anyone can start a group and that group is not official

#2062211 - 12/22/11 09:55 PM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: RosalieAnn]
Bunnygirl Offline

Loc: Kentucky
But they use the Find A Grave icon.

- Unknown

#2063322 - 12/24/11 09:38 AM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: Bunnygirl]
BeardedWierdo Offline

Gliding monkeys!

Loc: Delaware County, PA
Originally Posted By: Bunnygirl
But they use the FAG icon.
That's not hard to do. You might consider it shady, but it's easy to do.

#2063400 - 12/24/11 11:29 AM Re: FindAGrave on Facebook (rant) [Re: LaurenThomas]
OsideNative Offline

Loc: SoCal
This is the "official" Find A Grave Fan Page on Facebook. It is managed by Find A Grave and they seldom post anything.
There are no official Find A Grave "groups" on Facebook. They are all unofficial, started and run by fans (or not fans).

To find out who the admin(s) of a "group" are, click on the Members link at the top of the page. On the page that comes up, click on the drop-down arrow next to All Members and select Admins. Do you know those people?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, RDigati, Russ