Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
16 registered (BACB, Classic Rock, MikeMaxton, Bailey4d4, Julieinsc, eesmith60, Lutetia, 5 invisible), 33 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Cenotaph
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1982814 - 09/18/11 06:47 PM Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2,
Jim Watkins Offline

Loc: California, USA
Can anyone tell me if the Asylum Cemetery at Missouri state Hospital #2 in St Joseph, Missouri (Buchanan County) still exists, or if it was relocated? I am interested in locating the grave of A. B. C. Couch, my G-G-Grandfather. His death certificate states that he was buried in the Asylum Cemetery. Thank you for your assistance.

#1983438 - 09/19/11 12:06 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: Jim Watkins]
FranzB Offline

Loc: Crystal Weyr (10th Pass)
Originally Posted By: Jim Watkins
Can anyone tell me if the Asylum Cemetery at Missouri state Hospital #2 in St Joseph, Missouri (Buchanan County) still exists, or if it was relocated? I am interested in locating the grave of A. B. C. Couch, my G-G-Grandfather. His death certificate states that he was buried in the Asylum Cemetery. Thank you for your assistance.

Greetings Jim...

See State Hospital Cemetery Also known as: Saint Joseph State Hospital Cemetery.

There is no 'cemetery' accessible anymore... the hospital has been turned into a prison and there are no stones to be found (that anyone has been able to find).

Sorry... there is a way to get a hold of records for hospital inmates, but someone else will have to fill you in on that. I don't remember who has that info.

Hope this helps... have a great week smile
"People don't die, they become one with nature"
Please read the FAQs

#1986972 - 09/23/11 03:00 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: FranzB]
Jim Watkins Offline

Loc: California, USA
That's great to know. Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do to track down those records you mentioned. smile

#1987280 - 09/23/11 08:24 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: Jim Watkins]
FranzB Offline

Hi Jim...

Sent you a PM (Private Message)... look for the flashing envelope at the top menu.

Have a great weekend smile
Please read the FAQs

#2053043 - 12/10/11 02:34 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: FranzB]
raypix813 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I see there are 120 or so listed as being in the State Hospital Cemetery. I was wondering where that list came from. My Gr Gr Grandmother, according to her Death Certificate, should have been buried there on or about Feb 12 1936.

#2053363 - 12/11/11 05:27 AM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: raypix813]
FranzB Offline

Originally Posted By: raypix813
I see there are 120 or so listed as being in the State Hospital Cemetery. I was wondering where that list came from. My Gr Gr Grandmother, according to her Death Certificate, should have been buried there on or about Feb 12 1936.

Greetings raypix and Welcome smile

I think the list comes mainly from the State of Missouri Death Certificate database online, here:

Missouri State Archives: Missouri Death Certificates

People look up either family members and post them, or go through and see who's buried where and posts them.

Since you already have the DC, you already know she's buried there (or at least, have pretty good proof... DC's aren't always 100% accurate, just like other records).

If you'd like to go ahead and enter her in that cemetery, feel free to (the link is in my earlier post).

Unfortunately, there will be no way to request a photo as there are no gravestones to see (plus it's a secure facility and no visitors).

I hope this helps... Happy Holidays smile
Please read the FAQs

#2053364 - 12/11/11 05:28 AM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: raypix813]
FranzB Offline

Originally Posted By: raypix813

PS... I sent you a PM (private message)... look for the flashing envelope up at the top menu by My Stuff. Click on the envelope and you'll see your PMs.

Happy Holidays smile
Please read the FAQs

#2077885 - 01/10/12 12:46 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: FranzB]
ktfelder Offline

Loc:
I found this site:
http://www.asylumeclectica.com/asylum/sightseer/us/mo/glore/index.html

At the bottom, they discuss the cemetery and show a few photos of existing stones.

#2078109 - 01/10/12 07:50 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: ktfelder]
FranzB Offline

Originally Posted By: ktfelder
I found this site:
http://www.asylumeclectica.com/asylum/sightseer/us/mo/glore/index.html

At the bottom, they discuss the cemetery and show a few photos of existing stones.

Hi ktfelder...

Thank you very much! I didn't see those when I was there to take a photo of the cemetery or I would have gotten as many as I could.

I'll have to schedule a trip later in the spring and get photos.

Thanks again and have a great week smile
Please read the FAQs

#2106334 - 02/12/12 05:16 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: FranzB]
menzelgen Offline

Loc: WV, MO, IA
Does anyone know how to gain access to the patient records. Absolem (Abner) Cupp died in this institution in 1915. Family suspicion is he was committed because of something he did to his wife. She disappears the same time he is committed...maybe he killed her?

Martha

#2106355 - 02/12/12 06:02 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: menzelgen]
Christina11 Offline

Loc: ation
Absolom's wife was listed as Sarah in the 1880 census, is that the wife that disappeared? And I see that he was in the hospital in the 1900 census, when was he committed?

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#2106522 - 02/12/12 07:55 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: menzelgen]
FranzB Offline

Originally Posted By: menzelgen
Does anyone know how to gain access to the patient records. Absolem (Abner) Cupp died in this institution in 1915. Family suspicion is he was committed because of something he did to his wife. She disappears the same time he is committed...maybe he killed her?

Martha

Greetings menzelgen...

I am sending you a PM (private message) with some info... watch for a flashing 'envelope' at the top of the message window.

Welcome smile
Please read the FAQs

#2258931 - 08/28/12 04:56 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: FranzB]
halebopp Offline

Loc: Missouri
My gr grandfather was in Missouri State Hospital #2 according to the 1900 census. He must have died before they issued death certificates as I could not find him the in MO database. His name is Adolphus D. Bynum. He was born in Virginia but lived most of his life in Marion, County MO. He served as a Missouri militia volunteer in the Mexican War !846-1848. Any help locating any information would be appreciated. I am sure there is some record of his death and maybe even his hospital records

#2276857 - 09/26/12 09:24 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: halebopp]
BarbaraLL Offline

Loc: New York
Here is some information:

name: Adolphus D Bynum
event: Census
event date: 1850
event place: Fabius, Marion, Missouri, United States
marital status:
race (original):
race (standardized):
birthplace: Virginia
estimated birth year: 1825
dwelling house number: 74
family number: 78
line number: 31
nara publication number: M432
nara roll number: 406
film number: 443614
digital folder number: 004200566
image number: 00016
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Adolphus D Bynum M 25 Virginia
Caroline Bynum F 24 Maryland

#2276858 - 09/26/12 09:26 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: BarbaraLL]
BarbaraLL Offline

Here is a record of when he was in hospital:

name: Adolphus Bynum
titles & terms:
event: Census
event date: 1900
event place: ED 145 State Hospital for Insane No. 2, Buchanan, Missouri, United States
birth date:
birthplace: Virginia
relationship to head of household: Inmate
father's birthplace: Virginia
mother's birthplace: Virginia
race or color (standardized): White
marital status: Married
years married:
estimated marriage year:
mother how many children:
number living children:
immigration year:
page: 3
sheet letter: B
family number:
reference number: 91
film number: 1240841
digital folder number: 004118758
image number: 00382

you can see the actual paper:

Hospital record

Edited by BarbaraLL (09/26/12 09:28 PM)

#2276859 - 09/26/12 09:39 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: BarbaraLL]
BarbaraLL Offline

#2276862 - 09/26/12 09:51 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: BarbaraLL]
BarbaraLL Offline

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mo-psychiatricmuseum3.html

Around the block from the museum, on what was once the southeast corner of the hospital campus, is the old asylum cemetery. A monument sits here next to a large field, with the "new" prison visible behind the trees. The first burial was made here on December 12, 1874 and the last burial in October, 1949. For us, this sad cemetery was as disturbing as the museum itself, as the majority of its tiny markers identify nothing more than an anonymous number upon their face. Of the hundreds of people that once passed through the old asylum and died here, there is not a name nor a date to identify these faceless "victims." Though the cemetery allegedly has more than 2,000 bodies within its midst, no more than several hundred headstones are in the old graveyard.

For many years Missouri's state hospital cemeteries were neglected by hospital administrators. In fact, in the 1960s, cemetery headstones were ordered to be pushed over and buried, as mowing around them was considered too costly.

Marker in front of Asylum Cemetery, April, 2005, Kathy Weiser.

Generally, when a relative was brought to the hospital for admission, the family was usually told to bring the clothes they wanted the patient to be buried in, because chances were. that he or she would never leave the hospital. Sadly, many of the patients at the hospital never had a single visitor, as family members were too embarrassed or ashamed. Many died lonely and unclaimed when their families could not be located.

Asylum Cemetery with view of prison (old asylum) in background,

April, 2005, Kathy Weiser.

Today, the cemetery has been mostly restored, though several of the markers lay crumbling. All but a very few are unmarked. Even the nicest monument in the old graveyard, that of a woman named Ellen Ross, 1816-1865 has been vandalized. The name and date are barely legible and something is missing from the top of the headstone. Who was Ellen Ross? Who was Number 58 who lies almost obscured in bank of the creek bed? As in life, these poor souls, have seemingly been forgotten.

Glore’s Psychiatric Museum has been featured on the popular television program, "Ripley’s Believe It or Not!”

The museum has now become a part of St. Joseph Museums Inc., which supports several other museums in St. Joseph.

#2468838 - 07/07/13 11:14 AM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: halebopp]
paulandc Offline

Loc: USA
Have you had any success in locating St. Joseph State Hospital No. 2 records? I am looking for information on how to get records from this institution, too.

#2553030 - 11/14/13 05:58 PM Re: Asylum Cemetery at Missouri State Hospital #2, [Re: FranzB]
MarshaDM Offline

FranzB, I'm also wanting to know the same information about obtaining records from the State Hospital for the same person. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ