Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
5 registered (ExPatYankee, Bailey4d4, 3 invisible), 28 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Cenotaph
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1926555 - 07/09/11 12:25 PM how to get military service number?
gen-friend Offline

Loc: swamps of North Louisiana
my uncle's death certificate states that he was in World War II, but I have no idea when/where/what branch, etc. is there any way I can get his service number so I can see about getting his military records?

#1926561 - 07/09/11 12:36 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: gen-friend]
Christina11 Offline

Loc: ation
Depending on the branch of service, there are many records that can be searched for that number. So, if you like you can post his name here or send me a PM and I can help you look.

You can also search on his name thru NARA records:

NARA AAD

Also, if he is listed in the National Gravesite Locator, it will give you info on his branch of service.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#1927023 - 07/09/11 11:43 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: gen-friend]
dfr Offline

Loc: Sneaking Up Behind You
You can try searching for him on the WW2 memorial web site:

www.wwiimemorial.com

The listings there come from various sources, not all include the service number, and he may not be there anyway. But it's worth checking.

#1929222 - 07/12/11 01:20 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: dfr]
gen-friend Offline

no luck with any of those. he's not buried in a veteran's cemetery. maybe if a volunteer can get a photo of the stone, it'd have something on it. but the transcription only has birth/death date, so it may not help because the death date is wrong. should be 1956, not 1950.

Christina, his name is Meryl Wayne Slagle; here is his memorial

thanks for your help.

#1929257 - 07/12/11 01:51 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: gen-friend]
Christina11 Offline

Is this his son born in 1956?

Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997
Name: Jeffrey Meryl Slagle
Date of Birth: 27 Nov 1956
Birth County: Moore
Father's name: Meryl Wayne Slagle
Mother's name: Cheri Rose Kilchriste
Roll Number: 1956_0015

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#1929259 - 07/12/11 01:54 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: Christina11]
Christina11 Offline

Did you send a Suggest A Correction to the Smilydino to get his death date corrected? Here is the info that shows his 1956 death...

Texas Death Index, 1903-2000
Name: Meryl Wayne Slagel
Death Date: 29 Jul 1956
Death County: Moore
Certificate: 38217

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#1929269 - 07/12/11 02:07 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: Christina11]
Christina11 Offline

I was going to ask you how he died but I just found mention of it in a couple of different articles. I just found an obit of sorts, which I was hoping might mention something, but no luck.

Have you even seen the documentary about this event? It looks like it would be interesting, although it was such a tragedy.

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#1929450 - 07/12/11 05:39 PM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: Christina11]
gen-friend Offline

yes, that is one of his children.....i have the DVD on order. i emailed the director and told him who i was. he said my uncle was one of the main ones in it, since his wife was the main one keeping the widows "sane" at the time by supporting each other. can't wait to see it.

thanks for looking, anyway.....

i had sent a Suggest A Correction once already, because there were 2 dupes in the same cemetery, by the same person. also asked about transferring. the dupes dissappeared, but no mention of transfer, yes or no. almost afraid to contact again! will give it a bit, try to find more info, and send another Suggest A Correction with info to add. maybe they will add it, since they don't seem to want to transfer. oh well.

#1932596 - 07/16/11 07:00 AM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: gen-friend]
gen-friend Offline

just got a photo for his memorial

[img]http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=68408808&PIpi=45451266[/img]

it's a start.....at least i know what branch...

#1981433 - 09/17/11 11:06 AM Re: how to get military service number? [Re: gen-friend]
Driver1928 Offline

Loc: Orion
I found a Texas Death Certificate that matches the dates of the grave marker:

Name: Meryl Wayne Slagle
Death Date: 29 Jul 1956
Death Place: Dumas, Moore, Texas
Race: W
Death Age: 33 years 1 month 2 days
Estimated Birth Date:
Birth Date: 27 Jun 1923
Birthplace: Tx
Marital Status: Married