Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
17 registered (Oly, Meriwether, garth, eesmith60, DSH, 8 invisible), 46 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Interesting / unusual monument
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Topic Options
#1876320 - 05/17/11 04:10 PM Help finding a grave in Arizona
smcg Offline

Loc: NC
I'm a new member and this is my first post so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been trying to find some information on my father's gravesite or an obituary, with no luck. His name was Francis McGaughey, and according to the SSDI, he last lived in Wendon, AZ, and died in Feb, 1981. I've checked Find A Grave, the AZ cemeteries lists, and several newspaper archives. I know that he was born in 1899 in Clearfield, PA; and his second wife's name was Lila M McGaughey...she died Jan, 1990 also in Wendon. Does anyone know if the AZ certificate of death includes either funeral home or cemetery information? I'd appreciate any tips on where else to look.

#1877022 - 05/18/11 11:48 AM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: smcg]
RJensen Offline

Yes, the AZ death certificates include both funeral home or cemetery information.

Here is a link to their site. They are only available to the public up to 1960(50 year death rule). The site has phone numbers to call & I'm sure they are available to family on request.

http://genealogy.az.gov/

http://azdhs.gov/vitalrcd/

Good luck

#1879616 - 05/20/11 09:52 PM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: RJensen]
smcg Offline

Thanks so much for the information, the azdhs link gave me the info I need to send for the death certificate. Appreciate your help!

#1879694 - 05/21/11 12:44 AM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: smcg]
ScottD Offline

Loc: Spokane
You do know his first name is Noah.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Noah Francis Mcgaughey
County: Clearfield
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 11 May 1899
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1877877
DraftBoard: 1

It shows John Mcgaughey as his father.

#1880119 - 05/21/11 01:12 PM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: smcg]
AzPictureTaker Offline

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: smcg
Thanks so much for the information, the azdhs link gave me the info I need to send for the death certificate. Appreciate your help!

Wenden is a small farming community and does have a small cemetery. It's about 30 miles from where I live and the last time I was there I saw quite a few unmarked graves and graves which where marked with simple crosses. There are, of course, marked graves as well.

If you are successful in your research and find your family is in the Wenden cemetery, let me know and I'll try to get down there to see if I can shoot some pics for you.

There are a few cemeteries in other communities around Wendon. Aguila, Boise, Parker, and Quartzite to name a few. If these names crop up in your search don't be concerned it just may be another clue as to where they are buried.

#1880474 - 05/21/11 10:03 PM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: ScottD]
smcg Offline

Thanks for pointing me to the Draft registration card; that's the first official document I've seen with the signature as Noah; although a couple of the Census forms list as Noah. All the family documents I have just refer to him as Francis. Many thanks!

#1880520 - 05/21/11 11:19 PM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: AzPictureTaker]
smcg Offline

AZPictureTaker, you are kind to offer to photograph for me; I'm in NC. The ADHS website says about 3-4 weeks to receive the death certificate; hopefully it will give the cemetery name. I'll followup once I have more information. Photographing a local cemetery for Find A Grave has convinced me to tie up a few personal loose ends. smile Thanks again!

#1882095 - 05/23/11 04:52 PM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: smcg]
AzPictureTaker Offline

Loc: Arizona
You are welcome. Feel free to PM me when you find more information and I'll do my best to help.

#2096013 - 02/01/12 03:02 PM Re: Help finding a grave in Arizona [Re: AzPictureTaker]
smcg Offline

Update: I was able to get the death certificate and talked with the funeral home and the chamber of commerce for Wenden. My dad died in home fire and was buried in the Wenden cemetery, apparently in one of the unmarked graves. According to the local chamber of commerce, it is a free cemetery, with graves dug by family members or vounteers, so no record of which grave is his. So while I didn't find his grave, I did find some closure.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ