Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
12 registered (TAC 1567, Ediana, cheekybones, Mayo Fan, 7 invisible), 36 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Cenotaph
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1849411 - 04/20/11 11:27 AM Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village
treetracker Offline

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
I seem to recall reading that this cemetery was trying to collect past due bills from relatives/anyone who inquired about plot locations. This was a couple of years ago.

Anyone know if this is true/urban legend? I need to get some information from them and would rather not have a problem.

Thanks,
Mary

#1849413 - 04/20/11 11:32 AM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: treetracker]
CLEE Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NYC
Hello Mary - I have not found this to be the case. They might charge you for detailed info on everyone buried in a certain plot but if you call and get a nice person they have also given me this info for free. If you are hoping to get a photo taken ask them to fax or email you a detailed map. There was someone filling requests but not sure if they still are. I have lots of family there but I live in Brooklyn and don't get to visit often. It's also a huge place with many missing stones unfortunately. Best of luck!

http://www.slate.com/id/2231045

#1849418 - 04/20/11 11:37 AM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: treetracker]
Murrayfamilytree Offline

Loc: New York
I inquired about a grave location a few years back, they wanted me to submit it in writing. I sent out the letter, sure enough I received a letter from Lutheran Cemetery with the grave location along with a bill for a research fee of $75.00. I never paid it.

#1849422 - 04/20/11 11:41 AM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: Murrayfamilytree]
CLEE Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NYC
You can try emailing them at - allfaiths(_a.t_/)nyc.rr.com - sometimes that is better then calling.

http://www.slate.com/id/2231045

#1849432 - 04/20/11 11:57 AM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: CLEE]
treetracker Offline

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the location, even the original deed. I also have a map. I was there back in the mid eighties, but now I can't find the information they gave me. I have the names of 3 who are buried there, but would like to know who the "neighbors" are. I guess I'll just have to call and email if they ask.

#1849457 - 04/20/11 12:32 PM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: treetracker]
Christina11 Offline

Loc: ation
Could you let us know what you find out, or send a PM to me? I have been meaning to contact them - a large part of my family is buried in that cemetery.

Thanks!

- Ellen Swallow Richards

#1854738 - 04/26/11 09:51 AM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: treetracker]
Bobcat Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NY , USA
Yes and No, they did not try to collect past due bills from us when we inquired about family members - they did ask us if we would be willing to pay back taxes on plots they thought were related to us - the amounts were very small - the time passed unpaid were many many years. There were no obligations placed upon us by the cemetery to make any payments.

As it turned out we paid the small sums to clear the records.

#1855396 - 04/26/11 07:45 PM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: Bobcat]
treetracker Offline

Well, if I would remember to call the office before they close, I might be able to get an answer. But, since they are closed by the time I remember, this may take awhile.

#1855975 - 04/27/11 08:42 AM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: treetracker]
kedzz Offline

Loc: Albany, NY
we got lots of info from them, and got a chuckle about getting a 'bill' from our past smile
and Rachel(4-23-11)

#1871022 - 05/11/11 08:07 PM Re: Lutheran Cemetery, Middle Village [Re: kedzz]
treetracker Offline

So, I finally remembered to call. Thirteen people buried in the lot, so it amounts to a goldmine for me. They gave me 2 options, mail in a check or order over the phone with a credit card. $45 either way. I guess they were getting tired of not receiving payment for research. Seems reasonable compared to other quotes I've seen. And it is New York. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ