Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-18-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
23 registered (AnnMaree, ChrisMs, eesmith60, crokersack, duke220, Brock, 8 invisible), 47 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
No Burying without Permission
Headstone design
Cenotaph
Topic Options
#1846237 - 04/17/11 11:00 AM footstones
softvoice Offline

Loc: POrtland, Oregon
Can someone give me a little history on footstones and purpose. ALso I have two photos that I can send someone to have a look...i'm wondering if I've come across and headstone and footstone to the same person.

#1846246 - 04/17/11 11:10 AM Re: footstones [Re: softvoice]
beardedmustafa Offline

Loc: Back there
Usually a smaller stone that it placed at the foot of the grave to indicate where it ends as opposed to the headstone which is placed at the head of it. Some have the intials of the deceased, some the year of death, some have both and others have no markings.
Used a lot in New England in Colonial and later times but not now. In many of the old graveyards they are missing as maintenance crews removed them to make mowing easier.

#1846270 - 04/17/11 11:24 AM Re: footstones [Re: beardedmustafa]
softvoice Offline

Loc: POrtland, Oregon
thank you for that. At first I thought it may have been an infant but it finally hit me .. like an ah hah moment. :0 that the initials matched the headstone and I wanted to make sure before I listed it that way.

#1846463 - 04/17/11 04:36 PM Re: footstones [Re: softvoice]
Pak Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Ya I see this very often in older Colonial era cemeteries where most of the graves from the 1700s will have both head and foot stones. When I photograph those for F.A.G. I tend to shoot both and add both here.

Pak

#1846474 - 04/17/11 04:50 PM Re: footstones [Re: softvoice]
Subic Offline

Loc: Kansas
Rare but sometimes, it could be an old headstone for that grave that was moved to the foot of the grave when a new headstone was placed.
I have one of those.

#1846497 - 04/17/11 05:17 PM Re: footstones [Re: softvoice]
BeardedWierdo Offline

Gliding monkeys!

Loc: Delaware County, PA
I think, at the simplest, the head- and foot-stones are saying "Don't dig here."

#1882442 - 05/24/11 03:00 AM Re: footstones [Re: beardedmustafa]
GenealogyGeek Offline

Loc: Here and There
Originally Posted By: beardedmustafa
In many of the old graveyards they are missing as maintenance crews removed them to make mowing easier.

This happens alot. My great-great-grandparent's footstones were moved to the sides of their markers (thankfully they weren't just thrown away). In many old cemeteries you can find a stack of footstones on the edge somewhere, many times you'll find broken headstones there as well.

#1885033 - 05/26/11 02:14 PM Re: footstones [Re: GenealogyGeek]
jrb49 Offline

Loc: Southern Illinois
I live in S.Illinois and run across footstones now and then. Your rite about piles of old stones. One particular old cemetery near my home, there is a pile of broken headstones. At least they werent thrown away. Would be an interesting "jigsaw puzzle" for someone.

#1885122 - 05/26/11 03:56 PM Re: footstones [Re: GenealogyGeek]
BigFred Offline

Loc: Pittsgrove,NJ
Originally Posted By: GenealogyGeek
Originally Posted By: beardedmustafa
In many of the old graveyards they are missing as maintenance crews removed them to make mowing easier.

This happens alot. My great-great-grandparent's footstones were moved to the sides of their markers (thankfully they weren't just thrown away).

I have seen this in southern NJ. I've also noticed that many footstones have the same "silhouette" as the headstone.

#1895413 - 06/04/11 10:57 PM Re: footstones [Re: BigFred]
erwinwarrior83 Offline

Loc: South Carolina

here's my family's row at Locust Grove (Weaverville NC), you can clearly see the footstones and then also the reservation markers, especially in the foreground of the picture where a reservation marker is just below a footstone. My dad (still living) shares his marker with my mother who is already deceased, and the footstones for both were placed at the same time their headstone was placed.

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, RDigati, Russ