Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 07-07-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 07-22-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
9 registered (DebbieGibbons, Dstmnstr, booklover, bcfrench, 5 invisible), 29 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Cousin's Day
Summer morning
Memorial Stone
Surname?
Not turkeys!
Topic Options
#1749683 - 01/16/11 04:49 AM how do you find a paupers grave?
arcticamy Offline

Loc: North Pole, AK
How does one go about finding a paupers grave? I have a missing aunt. We assume she was poor when she died. All I know is the last area she lived in was Los Angeles. If she died, who would bury her? Does the county pay for it? If she listed no next of kin, how is she listed in the cemetery? What steps do I take to locate her? thanks for any info at all.

She is not on find-a-grave. I do not have a date of death and she is not listed on the social security website. She always claimed she had no SSN, and received no welfare. If she were alive today she would be almost 100.

#1749794 - 01/16/11 06:56 AM Re: how do you find a paupers grave? [Re: arcticamy]
crokersack Offline

You can always go back to real genealogy. Go to cemetery books in the area. Surveys contain all of the people in a graveyard. Find A Grave is no where close to that. You cannot go by records here that they are not buried so and so place. You can also order a Death Certificate on her. If she has died, there will be one somewhere.

#1749944 - 01/16/11 10:38 AM Re: how do you find a paupers grave? [Re: crokersack]
svh77 Offline

Loc: CA & MO
Unclaimed or indigent people in Los Angeles County are generally sent to the Los Angeles County Crematory Cemetery (read the detailed info on the link). Many cemeteries (and organizations) also have plots set aside for those who don't have resources.

Hopefully, she would have a death certificate that would be on file at the L.A. County Recorder's Office, and you could order a copy. That would confirm where she was buried.

You can check the California Death Index (1940-1997) or, if she died prior to 1940, there are some of us with access to other indexes that would be glad to take a look. Just post what you know about names/dates/locations.

Good luck!

#1750221 - 01/16/11 04:07 PM Re: how do you find a paupers grave? [Re: svh77]
mamamoni Offline

Loc: Fremont, Ohio
I had a ggrandma buried by sisters of the poor, I inquired at all options in that county if there was no money who would bury them, in finding out all the organizations available, I then started and went thru the list and found they buried her. Not sure how much help that is to you.

Fred W Weatherwax

#1750671 - 01/17/11 05:11 AM Re: how do you find a paupers grave? [Re: mamamoni]
arcticamy Offline

Excellent answers. I will explore every avenue. THANKS everyone!

#1750867 - 01/17/11 09:18 AM Re: how do you find a paupers grave? [Re: arcticamy]
missbitty Offline

Loc: www.cff.org
I would start with the California Death Index to see if you could narrow down where she was. Then Google cemeteries for the surrounding area. Some have websites with burials listed, or you can get an
e-mail address and e-mail them for the information. Some cemeteries charge, some don't.

Where I live poor people are usually buried in the section of the cemetery called potters field. There are generally fewer markers, unless the family has made a marker.

#1755388 - 01/21/11 03:36 AM Re: how do you find a paupers grave? [Re: missbitty]
arcticamy Offline

If anyone would be inclined to search, her name was Lillian Marie Williams b 2 Apr 1912. She was known to fake her birthday. Unknown marriages. Unknown residence other than somewhere in LA County, CA. She was last seen by my grandma (who is now dead) in 1987.

thanks for the great tips. My hunt continues.

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ