Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 04-13-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 04-23-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
18 registered (deniseA, CarmasKid, ellen, Lutetia, divadog, Chelie, Bernadette, 9 invisible), 32 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Easter Orbs
Curious sign
Interesting / unusual monument
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1420394 - 04/14/10 07:58 PM Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery
Giggard Offline

Flat Bronze Veterans Grave Marker

US military veterans are entitled, upon their death and after meeting
certain eligibility requirements, to a military headstone or flat bronze
grave marker provided by the Veterans Administration at no charge.

The flat bronze grave marker is 24 inches long, 12 inches wide, with 3/4 inch rise. Weight is approximately 18 pounds. Anchor bolts, nuts and washers for fastening to a base are furnished with the marker. The government does not furnish a base.

Arrangements for setting a Government furnished headstone or marker in a private cemetery are the applicant’s responsibility and all placement costs are at private expense.

On average in East Coast Areas like MD & VA
How much does it cost to install a VA marker
How much does it cost for a (granite) base ?

Thank You

#1420420 - 04/14/10 08:27 PM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
oscarwilde Offline

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
200 dollars- contact all the stone carvers in your area and ask the cemetery they may have rules etc. good luck.

Bill Bryson

#1420433 - 04/14/10 08:45 PM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: oscarwilde]
ldavis Offline

Loc: NE FL
For my old Civil War ancestor's marker, I ordered the VA upright granite marker and had it delivered to the local funeral home. When it got there, got a couple or 3 young male cousins with a pick-up truck, a bag of quick cement from Home Depot, and shovel then off we went to the old family cemetery. It was our family cemetery so we make the rules. They did a great job.

#1420757 - 04/15/10 07:36 AM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
crokersack Offline

I would go straight to the people who do the markers themselves. Funeral homes are a middle man. $200 sounds expensive, but I do not care for the bronze markers. The darken with age and I have been doing cemetery surveys for 25 years.

#1420808 - 04/15/10 09:06 AM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
JoMac53 Offline

Loc: 65 lbs closer
Giggard,

Contact the cemetery where it's going to be installed, everything is entirely up to them... what kind of markers they allow, how much they charge, if any base is allowed or required, or if you can do all or any of the work yourself.

Jo

#1468079 - 06/05/10 07:05 AM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
Giggard Offline

In April, 2010 a representative from Holly Hills
a Dignity Memorial cemetery provider, called
to let us know that the Bronze Veterans Marker
from the (VA) Veterans Administration was in.

#1468102 - 06/05/10 07:25 AM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
Giggard Offline

June, 2010 we went to visit Charlie`s grave
and to see his military marker from the VA.

It was still in the box and had not been put down yet
It`s 24 inches long, 12 inches wide with 3/4 inch rise.

We were able to take a photo of the bronze marker &
plan to post a photo on his findagrave memorial page.

#1468661 - 06/05/10 03:36 PM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
Jackie Offline

Loc: baNs neighborhood
Did you ask the cemetery what they require? In other words, do you have to have a professional company do it, or can you do it yourself? Like ldavis, my husband and I set his great-grandfather's VA provided upright granite marker in a public-owned cemetery. Same cemetery 4 years later, a group of us installed my husband's flat granite marker with the same dimensions as the bronze VA markers. The only thing I would have done different, was to buy the finer type of concrete the monument companies use rather than quick-set concrete.

#1468754 - 06/05/10 04:34 PM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: Giggard]
JoMac53 Offline

Loc: 65 lbs closer
Did they give you a date that it would be installed by?

Please post a link to his memorial.

#1468981 - 06/05/10 05:55 PM Re: Setting a VA Grave Marker in Non Military Cemetery [Re: JoMac53]
billl Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Not knowing the military history, I'd also recommend contacting the local VFW or American Legion. They might be able/willing to absorb at least some of the expenses and work involved.

Your Creator gave you a brain. Try it, you'd be amazed at all you can discover.

We are born naked, wet, hungry, and get slapped on our arse; then things get worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ