Known Issues - Main Site
Updated 07-07-2014
Find A Grave Links
Pending Admin Approval
Updated 07-25-2014
Find A Grave Toolbox
Who's Online
24 registered (Chelie, Fairys_Midwife, JayGeeVanAre, AnnT, eesmith60, KenG, kbrownst, 7 invisible), 36 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recently Shared Photos
Some  of my cousins
Cousin's Day
Summer morning
Memorial Stone
Surname?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1258318 - 11/16/09 02:48 AM Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore
H. J. W. Dunn Offline

Loc: SW PA
Hi. I was wondering if anyone on here is familiar with this cemetery? I have seen photos and statements that it is in a deplorable state. My g-g-g-grandfather was superintendant at Mt. Carmel for 50 or so years (in fact, all of his 10 children were most likely born there).

I hope to get to the cemetery in the spring or summer to find all the family graves there (I may have to invest in a machete if the stories I've heard are true)!

If it's as bad as I hear, old Grampa Cyrus is probably rolling over in his grave. Does anyone know who is responsible for the care and maintenence of the cemetery (the city, the county, the state, a private firm)?

As his descendent, I may have to take it upon myself to clean it up.

#1269384 - 11/27/09 12:46 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: H. J. W. Dunn]
cmarek
Unregistered

I visited Mt. Carmel in 2007. A handful of sections near the entrance have been cleared out by volunteers, but the rest is overgrown and in horrible shape. I went bushwacking, and was dressed appropriately, but still had to pull about 20 ticks off when I got back to my hotel. One tick managed to make it all the way back to the midwest with me. Where's airport security when you really need it? :-)

Another findagrave volunteer, who lives near the cemetery, says it is still in bad shape. Some of the headstones are overturned or lying in stacks. Even if you know the Lot and Grave number, and can actually find it, there's no guarantee the headstone will be in the right place. Yes, Grampa Cyrus is spinning.

csm

#1337118 - 01/26/10 05:40 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: ]
cemeteryfixer Offline

Loc: Maryland
The cemetery is being cared for by a new group of dedicated people. There has been much progress cleaning up the cemetery and returning the stones to their place. It is no where near the jungle of a few years ago. Most of the sites are easily accessible with the exception of a few groupings.

It is not the manicured lawn cemetery one might want but it is an impressive cemetery with lots of stones and statues and in a greatly improved shape.

#1358302 - 02/14/10 01:34 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: cemeteryfixer]
izzebella Offline

Loc: kewlbeania
it really is greatly improved .. i was just there before the recent snows ... most of the cemetery is cleared down to bare land again finally ... the new owners also run the cemetery next to it the former trinity lutheran .. they are slowly fixing major sink holes and trying to replace stones .. and oddly new burials have popped up in places around the cemetery ( which i suspect some hinkiness going on but havent heard back from the state or city on this ) most of the curbing and iron work is gone .. from what i understand a prievious caretaker had them removed to be part of backfill for his private pier on his shore home. things are steadily improving .. usually most of their work in clearing things out is done in the fall and winter .. spring and summer is usually for their mowing and ivy removal

#1450431 - 05/17/10 04:18 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: izzebella]
Dee113 Offline

I was the the Saturday before Mother's Day and I was impressed by how much work that has been done. Normally I don't like to go there alone because of the conditions. However my parents are there and I wanted to spend time with them. Since no one was around to go with me I had to go alone. The grounds were really cut back from the last time I was there. Must say much less scary that previous visits. Most of the overgrown brush was cut back and made it very open and visible. For the first time ever I saw a groundsman driving around in the truck and working. One of the back off the beaten path roads has been completely shut down. Driving through that road in the past I have been stuck more then once in the mud. They even created a new road of travel. It was such a huge improvement and I felt very comfortable there that I found myself laying on the ground in the flowers that were growing wild for well over an hour just talking to my parents. Overall I am happy with the improvements however it still has alot of work to be done. This is what happens when it goes neglected for so many years.

#1450432 - 05/17/10 04:19 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: izzebella]
Dee113 Offline

I was the the Saturday before Mother's Day and I was impressed by how much work that has been done. Normally I don't like to go there alone because of the conditions. However my parents are there and I wanted to spend time with them. Since no one was around to go with me I had to go alone. The grounds were really cut back from the last time I was there. Must say much less scary that previous visits. Most of the overgrown brush was cut back and made it very open and visible. For the first time ever I saw a groundsman driving around in the truck and working. One of the back off the beaten path roads has been completely shut down. Driving through that road in the past I have been stuck more then once in the mud. They even created a new road of travel. It was such a huge improvement and I felt very comfortable there that I found myself laying on the ground in the flowers that were growing wild for well over an hour just talking to my parents. Overall I am happy with the improvements however it still has alot of work to be done. This is what happens when it goes neglected for so many years.

#1767185 - 01/29/11 11:33 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: Dee113]
iFoundAGrave Offline

Since 2005 my immediate family and I have been visiting Mt. Carmel Cemetery. As far as overall looks go I admit the apparent improvement, but I think it is occuring at too great a cost. I have seen piles of bulldozed stones and vaults. Yes, there is tremendous plant growth and sink holes. Does this justify bulldozing remains of our ancestors into piles (even when the only thing remaining is the vault itself and the headstone)? I don't think so. I have been able to document multiple places where the graves of my ancestors were bulldozed for so called improvement including new graves and a new road!
I wish I knew how to file a complaint against Mt. Carmel Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland for bulldozing my great great grandfather's grave and stone. frown

#1767479 - 01/30/11 06:26 AM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: iFoundAGrave]
Biker Rob Offline

Loc: Hiding under the bed
Contact an attorney about filing a civil suit.

#1795030 - 02/24/11 05:34 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: Biker Rob]
CarolZ Offline

The last time my sister and I went to Mt. Carmel Cemetery, a man in the office gave us a map and told us how to locate a grave in section A. We couldn't find anything but broken bases. We were ready to leave when my sister picked up a fallen tree branch and began prodding in the muddy ground. Unbelievably, she hit something hard, and she and I began to dig with our hands. We unearthed the headstone of our relative! It was way too heavy to remove it and we had to leave it in the ground. We contacted the office and asked them to remove the headstone and place it back on its base. That was over a year ago, and nothing has ever been done.

Another relative is buried in section Q which is unapproachable. We have plans of taking a weed whacker and shovel on our next visit to see if we can even get into the area.

#1797095 - 02/26/11 04:59 PM Re: Mount Carmel Cemetery, Baltimore [Re: CarolZ]
SuzanB Offline

Does Mt. Carmel have a church affiliation or are all faiths buried there? Is it possible to get any additional info from the office? Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  AJ, Bobbnoxious, Jim, Mark, Russ